Tuesday, December 14, 2010

What you see and what you get

I think people are a lot like Icebergs, myself included. Not because we can give the cold shoulder, or give icy comments, or any other pun you can think of.
As I saw this picture of an Iceberg today, I just kept thinking that the tip of the Iceberg is the part of us that we show to the world. In itself, the tip is magnificent and bright, but we all know that the tip is not nearly as strong, deep, powerful or amazing as the part that is hidden beneath the waves.
So often in my life I have done things that have been misinterpreted, or I have felt misunderstood and judged, a good intention wasn't received as well as I had hoped, and I seem to have both feet in my mouth most days. I know I can't be the only person on the planet to feel that way, and the Iceberg got me thinking...how much time to I take to look beneath the waves at the Icebergs around me?
Icebergs are an appropriate object to use, because they can be cutting and even deadly, and sometimes relationships can be a little that way too. I know I have been thrashed against a few in my time. It's all too easy for me to play the blame game and hold the Iceberg responsible for everything, but really, I have to take blame too. I want people to understand me, make allowances, forgive, and love me. Not just the tip, but the whole of me. I want people to put their head in the water and understand every inch of me.
So it's time for me to buy a pair of goggles and dive down deep so I can be a better wife, mother, daughter, friend and neighbor to those around me.
So I guess the moral of all this is that what I see isn't the whole picture, and I can't judge an Iceberg by the little part I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment