Saturday, January 22, 2011

Oh to be like Barkley

Barkley joined our family a little over 2 years ago. He's a gorgeous Golden Retriever, which is a pretty Ironic name, seeing as he doesn't actually retrieve. Don't get me wrong, he's a smart dog, and can do many tricks, but running after something and bringing it back to you just doesn't seem to be his cup of tea! We have so much fun when people come over, showing them how Barkley can fall down and play dead if we pretend to shoot him, and how he can shake paw with you, and the weird sounds he makes for a liver treat, but if I want something, I have to go get it myself.
Anyhow, with tricks aside, he is a good running companion, gentle giant, and great company. Over the past 2 years I have found that I want to be more like my dog then anyone else. When you think about it, there is a lot to be learned from this hairy, wet nosed friend.
1 Loyal
2 Forgiving
3 Unconditional with Love
4 Obedient (as long as he doesn't need to fetch)
5 Happy
6 Content
7 Always pleased to see me
8 Good listener

Why wouldn't I want those qualities all the time?

I only have to walk out of a room and walk back in it and his tail is wagging like I'm some kind of a rock star. No matter how bad my mood, he overlooks it and is still happy to be with me. If I beat him at tug of war, he is a good looser, although ready to beat me next time. I could go on forever about my dog and the great qualities he has, but I think you get the point.

1 comment: